Thursday, August 24, 2006

The day a hippo came to town!

Yes you did read that properly, Tumu is now the proud foster parents of a full grown male hippopotamus. I was taking an afternoon nap on Saturday (as you do in hot countries!!) and I got a call from a friend asking whether I had seen the hippo. Considering I was half asleep I really didn't comprehend this information, and answered no... I slowly came to and realised I needed to ask what hippo?

Apparently a hippopotamus had found its way into Tumu dam.

This I had to see... I promptly cycled down to the dam with my camera to see the hippo. There were so many people crowded on the dam, and I was guided by one of the Demo pupils to the best spot to see it.

Now seeing a hippo in Tumu is not an every day occurrence, in fact this is the first time one has found its way here. Not so it would seem to the crowd of onlookers by the side of the river. They were more interested in the folie with the camera rather than the hippo in the water. As I got my camera aimed ready to take a great shot, I felt hundreds of eyes on me... I looked down and all the children were crowded round me waiting to see the hippo snap. I kept telling them don't look at me look at the water and tell me when he pops out of the water. Finally the suspense was over the hippo came up for air... just as my camera powered down into standby! so I missed the picture because by the time it had powered back up the hippo had gone back under.

I was determined next time to get it... and what a picture it is!


can you see it? can you, can you?? it is there honestly!

You might be wondering like I was how on earth someone spotted a hippo in the water if thats all you could see... I certainly wouldn't and as 99.9% of Tumu population have assuredly never in their life seen a real live hippo I doubt they would have either. However, on the friday night the owner of that piece of land was wandering around and stumbled across this big grey elephant without a trunk or ears and probably wondered what it was (the last description is my own - not the discoverer's!) anyway word got out that a hippo was in the dam...

That was Saturday.
Sunday the crowd had subsided somewhat but still around - the hippo was still in the water. Monday he decided to go walk about along with his onlookers who obviously thought he was a friendly creature that would like to be provoked and have stones thrown at him... much to their surprise he wasn't too happy at having stones thrown at him so he turned round and charged, knocked someone down and tore at their arm... luckily both parties are ok. However now the hippo is being guarded by the local reserve guards, so people are not allowed anywhere near him.

I didn't see him on Tuesday, but yesterday I passed the dam and the crowd had once again grown. I asked if he was around, and was told he was near the bank - I looked out and there he was having a wash, half out of the water. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so wasn't able to take a shot. It would have been good too... one for national geographic - so you'll just have to put up with the posted one.

Today he is still around but I only saw his ears.

Question is how long will he stay and how on earth will he get home? - he is a long way from home. He's probably from somewhere near the Côte d’Ivoire border.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home