Saturday, May 13, 2006

Beach Life

I have just spent the last week on a really idyllic beach. The reason being a VSO workshop! - nice place to have one i'd say...

The place was about 4 hours west of Accra, so it was quite a feat to get there. The journey started so well with us getting a lift in a NGO Aircon Land Cruiser to Tamale, which took 4 hours instead of a journey which took 1.5 days last time! then the next day we took the bus (no aircon this time) to Accra. This bus was a coach with middle seats so some poor people had to sit on a uncomfortable jump seat for 13.5 hours... Glad it wasn't me.

We then had a day in Accra and then took a aircon Tro-Tro to Takaradi - slight difference to the ones between Tumu and anywhere... and finally a taxi to the beach - in all it took four days to get there!

There is such a difference between the north and south of Ghana. I never really noticed it on the way north, I guess I was overwhelmed by everything new. But looking out of the bus window it is quite ridiculous the size and quality of houses the fruit and food in the shops the total lack of obvious poverty in the towns - its still there but the divide is that much wider. It makes me angry to see the number of children not attending school in towns which are so much more wealthy than the north!

I will write more about this next time when I have had time to sit and think about it more.

This post is about the beach...

Ahhh the beach. I think I overdosed on good food and relaxation. We spent 6 days there in total and now we are on our journey back north. At the moment we are in Kumasi. The second largest city in Ghana. I like it here, much nicer than Accra which is like any capital anywhere.

I am in the British Council using the internet for free - shhhh don't tell anyone! great what the VSO card can do...

Tomorrow we head backt o Tumu so hopefully I should be there for classes on Tuesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home