Friday, December 22, 2006

National Festival of Arts and Culture: Culture – a Vehicle for Wealth Creation

The National Festival of Arts and Culture celebrated biennially has become one of the Institutionalised national events of our country. It was established to bring our chiefs and people together to celebrate the underlying unity of our various cultural expressions. NAFAC has projected our cultural heritage and promoted our traditions and values.

This festival was established in 1978 and each region has hosted it in turn. This year it was the Upper West’s time to shine.

I was told about this festival at the start of year staff meeting. Principal asked if anyone would like to join him at the opening ceremony. A sheet of paper was circulated and was still blank by the time it got to me. I was up for it. Any chance to go to another town in comfort of a private vehicle rather than a tro (I still have a dislike for them). I am very much glad I went. It was a opening ceremony, I was dreading it to start with as every ceremony I had been to so far had been lots of speeches and not much else. However this one was different. Yes we had the pomp and circumstance, but it was glittered with traditional dancing and drumming for each region. These dancers were, may I say, AWESOME. I am always mesmerised by the natural rhythm that every Ghanaian seems to have bred into them from birth.

We had great seats, right next to the VIP stand (the president was supposed to attend, but unfortunately was unable to) so we had a great view. The highlight was a procession of all the dance groups. The only way I can describe this procession was an amazing harmony of drums, tambourines and xylophones. Not to mention the dancing every which way you turned.

The festival lasted a week. I am so glad I had the opportunity to attend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home