Saturday, February 18, 2006

Final day in Accra

We leave first thing tomorrow for our long journey north, there will be 7 of us travelling with luggage in the VSO Land Rover. Our first drop off is in Tamale - 12 hours away, Three vols will be leaving there, the rest of us will spend the night and then leave first thing Monday for Bolgatanga. Two vols will be based there, one in bolga and one in Bongo which is North of Bolga so we are to make a slight detour up there. then there will be two remaining. We have been told we will spend the night in Bolga, and leave for Tumu on Tuesday morning. I will arrive in the afternoon, the prinicpal has been told I am coming and hopefully he will be there to meet me - I have also been told that I shouldn't be surprised if the Chief turns up too... I must practice my greetings.

I tried to find out some more information about my placement:
  1. The computers could very well have windows xp (they say they are pentium 4)
  2. My school day is 7-2 though during exam time there is a likelyhood that it could well be earlier, apparently it is quite common for the students to knock on the door at 5am - thank god for ear plugs because they won't get a very nice reception at that time!
  3. I will no longer be teaching secondary Maths but I will be teaching JSS which is basic level - I am pleased about that - they tried to rope me into teaching englist but i have put my foot down on that.
  4. I am 2-3 km out of Tumu so definitely need a bike - eek!

Today we have a free day so I did my usual of wandering around the city - best way to find your barings... we ended up near the beach though we couldn't see it and found ourselves in very local places where the children run out to greet us and did high fives.

Nothing new to say, so i will leave it here and write again in a few weeks when I am next in a place with internet

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian Johnson said...

Hi Lucy

sounds like you made a good choice, spoke to Ciara friday, she left yesterday. I gave her your blog address.
good that you have some friends already and the maths ain't too tough. wasn't surprised at the luggage, wish i had been there to see you trying to repack :-)
am at my dads doing the good son bit and sorting out all the jobs that need doing. i have put him on msn and bought him a web cam, could be a bit too tech but we'll see.
will read your blogg as oft as i can, still messing with mine.
best wishes Ian
just put this on my blog, then left it as a comment on your 1st blog! i haven't started drinking yet!

7:15 pm  
Blogger Ian Johnson said...

hi lucy, have just spent the weekend with my kids clearing out space in the loft and garage. am now deluging charity shops with unwanted clothes and bric-a-brac. took lots to the tip too, so many bags of paper the guy accused me of tipping trade waste!
am in touch with ciara but we haven't heard from suzanne in ethiopia, we are getting a bit concerned so am in touch with vso.
hope all well with you, can't wait to go. ian

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home